Save from as low as €40 per month
Change modify pause
Markets are called to open higher this morning. European stock-index futures rose before central bank meetings in the region. The European Central Bank, the Bank of England and the Riksbank will all leave key rates unchanged today, according to economist surveys. Reserve Bank of India Governor Raghuram Rajan announced plans to make it easier for banks to open branches and lend to non-state sectors. U.S. jobs data tomorrow may provide clues to changes in Federal Reserve stimulus. A U.S. Senate panel authorized a limited military strike in Syria.
Stock to watch: Sony
Sony Corp. is betting its Xperia Z1 handset will propel it to No. 3 in the smartphone market, leaping from seventh place by vaulting past competitors such as LG Electronics Inc. and Lenovo Group Ltd.
The Xperia Z1, which comes with a 20.7 megapixel camera and will be in stores this month, will help it gain ground in the U.S. and China to become the biggest rival to Apple Inc.’s iPhone and Samsung Electronics Co.’s Galaxy devices, said Dennis van Schie, Sony Mobile Communications sales chief. The company also announced a zoom lens-style camera for smartphones.
“Our ambition is to become a top three player,” van Schie said in an interview at the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin yesterday. “We are, right now, enjoying fantastic momentum in the markets where we play. We are breaking into the U.S.; we are building momentum in China.”
WHAT TO WATCH:
• Draghi Seen Fighting Recovery Enthusiasm as Market Rates Rise
• Carney Rates Resolve Challenged as Recovery Builds
• Asian Stocks Rise for Sixth Day With Emerging Currencies
• BOJ Leaves Policy Unchanged as Economy Makes Moderate Recovery
• About 35,000 Global Bank Employees May Face EU’s Bonus Curbs
• FTSE 100 Directors’ Retirement Funds Average $7.4m
• EU Insurers Spent $6.5b on Regulation, Deloitte Says
• Merkel Says She’s No Shoo-In for German Chancellor on Sept. 22
• Senate Panel Sets Goals Against Syria in Approving U.S. Military Strikes
• G-20 Draft Calls for Job Training, Infrastructure Spending
EARNINGS All times CET, estimates where available
• Neopost (NEO FP) aftermkt, 2Q sales
• EasyJet (EZJ LN) 8am, Aug. traffic
• Go-Ahead Group (GOG LN) 8am, FY pretax GBP82.5m
• Dixons Retail (DXNS LN) 8am, 1Q sales, trading
• Betfair Group (BET LN) 8am, 1Q sales, IMS
• SuperGroup (SGP LN) 8am, 1Q sales, IMS
• Spirit Pub (SPRT LN) 8am, 4Q sales, trading
Good day and happy trading!
You are signing up to receive news, updates, general market announcement, articles and product or service marketing. By signing up you are consenting